1. addict [n.] = 入迷的人、有癮的人
2. traditional [adj.] = 傳統的、慣例的、因襲的
3. nation [n.] = 國家、國民、民族
4. Victorian [adj.] = 維多利亞時代的、維多利亞王朝風格的
5. institution [n.] = 制度、習俗
6. plantation [n.] = 農園、大農場
7. industrialised [adj.] = 工業化的
8. antiseptic [n.] = 抗菌劑、防腐劑
9. sobriety [n.] = 清醒、冷靜 / 有節制、適度的飲酒
10. propaganda [n.] = 宣傳、宣傳活動
1. Well tea is a very __________ and __________ drink here in the UK.
2. That’s because Britain was an __________ during Victorian times so it helped itself to anything its countries produced, like tea and __________.
3. Water wasn’t safe to drink so alcohol was a good antiseptic and often poor people, including some children, would drink __________, __________ or __________.
4. The desire to have a working population that was __________ and __________ was very, very strong and there was a great deal of propaganda to that effect.
5. Particularly the sales of ___________ and ___________.
1. When was the Victorian tea set made ?
2. Where does tea come from ?
3. What was the problem with workers in the 1800s ?
Do you prefer tea or coffee ?
I think I like tea more.
In fact, I only drink coffee about once a month.
Tea is just more refreshing; coffee is a bit too strong for me.
What about you ?
What do you like to drink ?
Don't forget to tell us why you like it !!
** Copyrights of the audio clip and scrip belong to BBC and are used here for educational purposes only. **
** We are not in any way affiliated with BBC. **